Full Stack Engineer
We’re here to change a notoriously conservative industry that’s pretty against digitization and platform automation. Can you guess what it is? Yep, it’s insurance.
When you join Feather, you’ll become a part of the internal tooling team which focuses on helping our customer support, our partners and insurance providers to be efficient at their day-to-day tasks.
Your goal will be to ensure a smooth and streamlined customer experience when they use their insurance. This includes managing policies and claims, working with payments and personal data, and so on. The platform you build will be used to make insurance a little less of a hassle and a lot more reliable.
Why apply to Feather?
- Small team, flat hierarchy, mission-driven. The usual buzzwords here, except we actually mean them. We’re small, lean, and we love what we’re doing.
- A modern tech stack to work with. We use NodeJS with TypeScript (NestJS / Express), Prisma, Apollo and Temporal. Our CI/CD is built with GitHub Actions, and we use GCP and Terraform for our infrastructure.
- You’ll be building a product that people need and are grateful for. Our excellent Trustpilot and Google reviews speak for themselves. We’ve built our products around people, and they love it!
- You'll have the freedom to experiment. We do hack days/hack weeks where you can experiment with new technologies and new ways of working. Our design system (dirtyswan.design) actually came out of a hack day. If you want to know more about hack days, read our article: Hack days at Feather.
- You'll help us contribute to open source. We're big believers in building in the open. We love the way GitLab, Artsy, Sentry, and others contribute to open source, and we're following that path too!
- You'll decide where to work from. We are a remote company mostly hiring in Europe. You'll be able to work anywhere so long that you stay close to the CET timezone.
What you’ll be responsible for
In this role, you’ll work in a small cross-functional product team with other developers, product owners, and designers. You will build our internal tooling platform on top of a GraphQL API similar to Retool and the like.
What working at Feather will be like:
- A lot of hands-on coding on challenging projects
- Interviewing engineers and making hiring decisions
- Collaborating and communicating with other teams and departments
- Giving technical talks as well as running technical demos and workshops
- Proposing architectural changes using our RFC process
- Writing posts for our technical blog and working on open source
- And much more!
As an example, check out some of the items from our roadmap in no particular order:
- Storing and managing sensitive customer data in a way that is secure and compliant with GDPR.
- Improving our insurance document exchange workflow using Google Cloud Storage.
- Integrating microservices that expose GraphQL API into the internal tooling platform.
- Migrating our notifications from Sendgrid to customer.io to help the non-technical part of the team automate them.
- Switching our BullMQ and Celery workers to the Temporal workflow orchestration model.
- Collaborating with the design team to improve the UX of our internal tools.
- Extracting reusable node packages from existing code and publishing them as NPM packages, both internally and as open source.
- You’re an excellent communicator both around technical and non-technical people.
- You have experience in working with relational databases such as PostgreSQL, BigQuery.
- You can write clean, maintainable, and reusable code and make design decisions regarding the architecture of the services that you’ll be implementing.
- You are familiar with modern CI/CD and developer tooling such as linters and testing frameworks.