Senior Backend Engineer
Who we are
When was the last time you were pleasantly surprised by an insurance company? We bet the answer is never—and we've built Feather to change that.
We’re committed to creating a brand new insurance experience. We envision one without commission-hungry brokers, where our customers' best interests are always at the center.
We’re a small, but ambitious team and we’re crazy about fintech and insurance. Our company was founded in 2018 by Rob (CEO) and Vincent (CTO). Vincent was one of the first employees at N26, where he was instrumental in building and scaling their iOS app. Rob was previously working at McKinsey, where he consulted top insurance companies on how to improve their digital strategy.
About the role
We're looking for an experienced Senior Backend Engineer to join our product team remotely.
The product team consists of several cross-functional units that are responsible for different parts of our insurance business. As a part of such a unit, you will be the one to make all the technical decisions necessary to grow our product.
You will be contributing to our TypeScript microservices and APIs, occasionally touching statically typed Python code. Anything you build will be immediately used by our customer base.
We put the customer first, and that is what defines how our tech evolves. We care about the UX of our products, but at the same time, we go out of our way to ensure security and privacy of the customer's data.
We set high standards in that regard, and we use the best tools available to meet them. You will define how the backend architecture and cloud infrastructure look like and collaborate with everyone across the team on the way.
Who we’re looking for 👀
We're looking for someone who already worked in a similar role as a Senior Software Engineer. This role requires a high degree of autonomy and excellent English communication skills.
You tick the following boxes:
- You are proficient with TypeScript and any of the modern node frameworks.
- You have a security mindset and care for data privacy.
- You show a good understanding of databases.
- You have worked with any ubiquitous cloud provider and containerized/serverless deploy.
- You are good at design patterns and architecture. You have worked with microservices and asynchronous architecture before.
- You have an eye for how things look and feel when it's facing the customer.
Ideally, you have experience with:
- Building event-driven systems with Cloud Pub/Sub, Kafka, Redis or RabbitMQ.
- Managing cloud infrastructure. Terraform experience is a plus.
- Running docker containers in production.
- Using PostgreSQL and writing raw SQL.
- Secure uploads to Google Cloud Storage or AWS S3.
- Using managed Kubernetes/KNative clusters.
- Serverless deployment using Google Cloud Functions, Cloud Run or AWS Lambda.
That said, don't be afraid to reach out to us if you are missing some of the above!
- We highly encourage people from underrepresented groups in tech to apply.
- We encourage people without degrees to apply: we believe that what you’ve worked on and achieved is way more important than on-paper qualifications.
What we offer
- Small team, flat hierarchy, mission-driven, and no politics. The usual buzzwords here, except we actually mean them. We’re small, lean, and we love what we’re doing.
- You’ll be building a product that people need, and are grateful for. Our excellent Trustpilot and Google reviews speak for themselves. We’ve built a product around people, and they love it!
- Budget for learning. We want you to grow with us, so we offer a €1,200 yearly budget that you can spend to learn new stuff (books, conferences, subscriptions, etc.).
- Remote work from anywhere close to the CET timezone. You may be requested to travel to Berlin several times a year.
- Freedom to contribute to Open Source. We are passionate about OSS and we have a bunch of our own code available on GitHub.
- A modern tech stack to work with—TypeScript, Terraform, NestJS, GitHub Actions just to name a few.
Does this sound like you? Apply now!
We'd like to chat about so many things with you! Please, let us know what interests you the most. Send your application to email@example.com with a CV and a brief answer to the questions:
- Have you contributed to open source? If the answer is yes, could you link to your most significant contributions?
- In your current work, which challenges are you most proud of solving? Which challenges excite you the most?