2020 was an undeniably unusual year, and with it comes a lot of in terms of insurance news. We hope you and your loved ones stayed healthy through it all. And with so much going on, you may have missed some news that might affect your health and finances.
Lucky for you, we’re here with a recap of the important developments in German insurance this year. Here, we’ll also remind you of some things to look out for in the year ahead.
5 things you should know
- Digital health options are becoming more widely recognized and available. With the passage of the digital health law (Digitale-Versorgung-Gesetz, DVG) in November 2019, German lawmakers recognized that digital health is the future of healthcare. This is undoubtably our top story for insurance news. The law allows for public insurance to pay for a wide variety of digital health services. This includes doctor’s appointments by video chat and apps on prescription. All sick notes from doctors (usually required by employers) will also be delivered in digital form.
- Many private insurers are raising their prices in 2021. Rising medical costs mean that private insurers have to adjust their premiums for next year. And while the increase may be significant, government regulations mean that premium adjustments can’t happen very often—and they are generally in line with increases in the cost of public insurance.
- …and prices for public insurance are also going up as well. Public insurers are significantly increasing their additional contributions (Zusatzbeitraege) in 2021.
- The COVID-19 pandemic has taken a toll on mental health around the world, with some studies reporting a tripling of anxiety and depression symptoms Here’s how to access them in Germany.
- Feather launched two great new insurance options. 2021 was a big year for us in terms of insurance news. We not only changed our brand from Popsure to Feather, but we also are now providing great coverage with two new types of insurance. Our dental insurance will help you cover expensive dental procedures (and even some great extras like tooth whitening), while our legal insurance is like having a lawyer friend on call at all times.
And that’s a wrap, folks. We wish you a happy and healthy “slide” into 2021 (as the Germans say 😉). See you next year!
Join the discussion